Please forward widely...
June is Haringey Sustainability Month
- packed with exciting, informative, relevant, useful, empowering and fun-tastic green community activities throughout all corners of the borough!
This year's annual Haringey Sustainability Month, co-ordinated by the Sustainable Haringey network, promises to be the most extensive programme of local green events and widespread publicity ever held in the borough. Throughout the whole month, local residents and community groups, environmental organisations and the Council have organised dozens of events in all corners of Haringey including film shows, festivals, nature walks and talks, practical seminars and workshops, skills sharing, information stalls, social events, bike rides and Dr Bike, visits to eco-homes and plant growing sites, games, meetings, protests, foraging trips, and healthy eating! These events will promote the positive green policies and practices our society urgently needs to adopt to deal with mounting environmental concerns and climate change. Tens of thousands of leaflets are being distributed to publicise the activities.
The full programme of events is set out below, and can be accessed from the home page of www.sustainableharingey.org.uk (please publicise!). By accessing the website, people can get the full details of the events planned, and can also sign up for regular Sustainable Haringey updates.
Sustainable Haringey is a grass-roots community network of local sustainability/transition groups (in Finsbury Park, Tottenham, Crouch End, Highgate, and Muswell Hill), working groups and projects (promoting sustainable food, transport, homes, waste, workplaces/economy etc), backed by over 1,000 residents and 50 Haringey organisations. We are promoting the need for a transition to a sustainable society based on: protection of the earth's environment; sustainable, low carbon lifestyles and economy based on renewable resources and minimum wastage; strong and stable communities; empowerment of local people; and decisions being made for the long term interests of people and the environment.
What we do today affects the future and maybe even the very survival of our society. We are calling on all residents and local organisations to join in the activities, and to help make the changes needed so that we can create a society which is sustainable for future generations.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Haringey Sustainability Month programme
Sat 29th May - 11am: Meadow Orchard Project
- Ecological survey presentation by London Wildlife Trust of the unique habitat, trees, plants and animal life at the Meadow Orchard. Followed by continuation of our community design plus preparing their first beds and borders. Behind Hornsey Central Health Centre (through car park), 151 Park Road N8 8JD http://shepherdscothealinggarden.ning.com Organised by the Meadow Orchard Project
Wed 2nd June - 7pm: Green on the Screen
- 'Agro Rebel' film show about permaculture farming. + Food / discussion. @ Moors Bar, 57 Park Rd, N8 8SY Local/organic/delicious food and courageous conversations. http://greenonthescreennorthlondon.ning.com Organised by Positive Earth
Thurs 3rd June - 7pm-10.30pm: "Collapse"
- A film about overcoming society's dependency on limited oil supplies @ Green Lens Studios, 4a Atterbury Road N4 1SFwww.greenlenstudios.com Organised by Green Lens Studios
Fri 4th June - 7pm-9pm: 'Breathing Buildings' workshop on creating microclimates for planting..
- using waste heat from buildings @ Green Lens Studios, 4a Atterbury Road N4 1SF www.greenlenstudios.com Organised by Green Lens Studios
Sat 5th June - 11am-5pm: Springwatch Biodiversity Festival
- Stalls, food, displays, walks, talks and much more @ Alexandra Palace Park (Western side). Organised by LBH and BBC.
Sat 5th June - 2pm: Learn about trees and tree preservation orders
- Starts at Chestnuts Park Community Centre. Walk & talk - an informal social event. All welcome. www.ttfh.org.uk Organised by Tree Trust for Haringey
Sun 6th June - 10-4pm: Meadow Orchard Project
- Interactive community design workshop using permaculture principles and tools. Behind Hornsey Central Health Centre (through car park), 151 Park Road N8 8JD http://shepherdscothealinggarden.ning.com Organised by the Meadow Orchard Project
Tues 8th to Thur 10th June: Green Roadshow/stall in Shopping City
- Organised by LBH Environmental Resources Team
Wed 9th June - 6.45pm: Sustainable Community Celebration!
- Stationers Park, N8 (Lower part, entrances from Mayfield or Denton Rd). How do we sustain ourselves to build community? Bring a picnic, stories, songs, poems, instuments etc, anything that inspires and sustains you to share with others. . Indoor venue being secured as a 'fallback' in case of rain... chati2009.ning.com Organised by Transition Crouch End
Thur 10th June - 1pm-4pm: Capital Clean-up at Courtman Road allotments Involving Community Pay-Back workers and a local school. @ 17-19 Courtman Road, N17 Organised by LBH Neighbourhood Management
Fri 11th June: Schools day at Green Fair
- @ Ducketts Common. Schools will be bringing classes for a visit. Organised by LBH
Sat 12th June - 12noon-5pm: Haringey Green Fair
- @ Ducketts Common. At Ducketts Common. 40 stalls (including the Sustainable Haringey network), 5 zones - transport, childrens, biodiversity, waste & recycling inc give-and-take area; and low carbon zone with carbon gym... and small stage with brief speakers and film clips. Parade from Wood Green tube 11.30am; solar stage with acts inc Aswad. Ents and refreshments will carry on 5-7pm and segue into World Cup match at 7.30pm, UK’s only biodiesel-powered outdoor world cup screening! Brochure will be carbon-offset with N10ergy. Organised by LBH and others.
Sun 13th June - 10am: Family Bike Ride around some Haringey parks
- Children and parents especially welcome. Meet 10am in Finsbury Park (by the cafe in the park). The ride will go through Finsbury Park, Chestnuts Park, Downhills Park, Lordship Rec, Alexandra Palace, and Parkland Walk. Suitable for children on bike seats or trailers, and older ones on their own bikes, but they do need to have a little bit of road sense as there will be some road riding on quiet roads. We'll probably be cycling around 10 miles (or you can drop out on the way) and there will be plenty of playground and café stops during the route. Info: email@example.com Organised by Haringey Cycling Campaign + Green Lens Studios
Sun 13th June - 12noon-4pm: Markfield Park festival to celebrate recent improvements there.
- @ Markfield Park, N15 Organised by LBH and Friends of Markfield Pk
Sat / Sun 12th-13th June: Class Wargames computer-mediated gaming
- @ HTTP Gallery: http://www.http.uk.net from June for more details. Creating participatory spaces for collective play. The rival teams will be acting our class war strategies, playing each other using physical game sets in their home cities while connected the Net. Six teams worldwide are involved: London, England (HTTP), Nottingham, England (Nottingham Contemporary), Vienna, Austria (Erotic Union), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Descentro), Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA (Black Mirror Studio), Berlin, Germany (Bootlab).
Sat/Sun 12th/13th June - ‘Open Weekend Showcases Eco-Renovation in North London’
- As part of the Eco House Weekend, eleven Victorian and Edwardian houses and flats providing examples of good practice in eco-renovation and located in the boroughs of Camden, Haringey, Islington and Hackney will open their doors to the public. All have made substantial progress in cutting their carbon emissions through a variety of measures such as installing new heating systems, fitting double glazing or repairing existing windows, insulating lofts etc. Eco House Weekend is designed to appeal to both house-owners and interested professionals such as architects, surveyors and designers. The houses will be open for varying periods on Saturday 12th June and Sunday 13th June - for details and booking see: www.victeri.co.uk. £10.00 for entrance to all 11 properties will be charged (£20.00 for professionals), and ticketing is on-line and in advance only. The event is organised by VICTERI, an energy efficiency consultancy specialising in the renovation of Victorian and Edwardian terrace houses.
Tues 15th June - 6.30pm: Sustainable Haringey open meeting
- For all who wish to get actively involved in the borough-wide network co-ordinating Haringey Sustainability Month! Over a thousand residents and 50 community organisations have already affiliated. @ Big Green Bookshop, Brampton Park Road, N8. Organised by SH network
Wed 16th June - 7pm-9pm: Build Your Own Bike
- @ Green Lens Studios, 4a Atterbury Road N4 1SF www.greenlenstudios.com Organised by Green Lens Studios
Sat 19th June: Tottenham Festival - visit the green and community stalls / activities
- Music, displays, dance, stalls, marquees, food etc. @ Bruce Castle Park, N17 Organised by Tottenham Festival Committee.
Sat 19th June - 11am-1pm: No to nuclear waste trains through Haringey!
- Protest / stall by Harringay Station, Green Lanes, N4 Trains carrying highly radioactive nuclear waste pass through Haringey each week on the Barking to Gospel Oak line. The building of new nuclear power stations will greatly increase this toxic waste. The Nuclear Trains Action Group will have a stall to publicise and protest against these dangerous transports and unsustainable nuclear power. For more background information see www.nonucleartrains.org.uk. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org Organised by Nuclear Trains Action Group
Sat 19th June - 5pm onwards: Meadow Orchard Project
- Summer solstice celebration and presentation of the new community design for the site. Behind Hornsey Central Health Centre, 151 Park Road N8 8JD http://shepherdscothealinggarden.ning.com Organised by Meadow Orchard Project
Sun 20th June - 11am-9pm: Mid-summer Skills Share celebration.
- Crafts, knowledge, food, games, discussions, Dr Bike, music and performance, poetry... and much more. 11-1pm: Food, kids stuff 1-2.30pm: Lunch together. 2.30-7pm: Workshops and discussions. 7-9/10pm: Perfomances. @ Tottenham Chances, 399 Tottenham High Rd, N17 sustottenham.wikispaces.com Organised by Sustottenham .....
And....... at 10am: Local foraging and harvesting together! Meet in Tottenham Hale, then on to the Skill Share at Tottenham Chances to share our bounty. Meet 10am, bottom of Mill Mead Rd off Ferry Lane [on 230 & W4 bus route and near Tottenham Hale Tube] Organised by Urban Harvest
Sun 20th June - 2pm: Hillfield Street Party, Olympics and EcoSculpture competition.
- @ Hillfield Park N10. Neighbouring residents welcome. Organised by Hillfield St James Residents Association
Mon 21st - Fri 25th June - 4pm-7pm: Dr Bike in some Haringey parks
- Free bike repairs daily, 4-7pm, in various locations during national bike week. Locations to be confirmed. Organised by Council's transport team.
Fri 25th and Sat 26th June - 12.30-3pm: Tottenham Food Coop and Community Cafe
- Fresh, organic and fairtrade products for sale + delicious/inexpensive meals cooked by local residents @ Broadwater Farm community centre, 1 Adams Road, N17 http://sustainable-haringey-food-group.wikispaces.com/Tottenham+Food+Coop Organised by Tottenham Food Co-op and Back 2 Earth
Sat 26th June - 1pm: Protest against BP for their crimes against the environment (climate change, oil spills etc).
- @ Tottenham Hale BP Garage, Hale Rd N17 Organised by Haringey Solidarity Group www.haringey.org.uk
Sun 27th June - 12-4pm: Summer Celebration of Growing in Haringey
- visit some key food and plant growing sites Info: www.growinginharingey.org.uk Organised by Sustainable Haringey members
Wed 30th June - 7pm-10pm: There was a forest (photo exhibition)
- @ Green Lens Studios, 4a Atterbury Road N4 1SF www.greenlenstudios.com Organised by Green Lens Studios